[Discuss] Dropping obsolete commands (Linux Pocket Guide)

erOn 11/9/2015 5:19 PM, Daniel Barrett wrote:
> While writing the third edition of my book, "Linux Pocket Guide"
> (O'Reilly), which focuses on Linux commands that are the most useful
> to know, I am considering dropping some topics that were in the
> previous edition. I welcome any opinions on whether the following
> commands are still widely useful enough to keep in the book.
>
> 1. dump and restore

If they're unreliable or no longer supported, they I'd vote to leave
them out, but if they're still operational, and can be used by new Linux
users who don't know the finer points of other utilities, then I'd
rather see at least a referral to other information.

> 2. finger and chfn

Since I had to look up "chfn", and I haven't used finger in about twenty
years, I suggest just a brief pointer to other info for any
archeologists who may be interested.

> 3. telnet
>
> I'm planning to mention telnet only for its utility in hitting
> arbitrary ports (telnet myhost 80), and to drop all discussion of
> remote logins with telnet, since it's largely been replaced by
> ssh. (And maybe have a footnote about kerberized telnet being OK for
> logins.)  Agree/disagree?

I both agree and disagree, and no joke. There are still lots of
printers, routers, and other "back room" kinds of devices, which depend
on port 23 for configuration and administration. I don't care if
"telnet" is how I access them, but I'd recommend a brief description of
the utility and a pointer to other sources of information, and also a
mention of other applications which can be used in its place.

> 4. dnsdomainname, nisdomainname, ypdomainname
I never heard of them before, so I have no opinion.

> 5. write and talk
>
> More commands I grew up with, but I suspect these have been completely
> obsoleted by instant messaging. (Though I always liked "banner wake up
> | write joe". :-)) Any reason to keep them?

I've never used either, so again no opinion.

> 6. Usenet
>
> The 2nd edition still covered slrn, but personally haven't run a
> newsreader in years.

Since I moderate comp.dcom.telecom and I'm the Chairman of the Big-8
board, I'm partial to keeping information about Usenet available. Of
course, a pocket guide to Linux doesn't need to have a lot of info about
Usenet, but a paragraph or two explaining that it's still in use and can
be reached from most email clients or google groups would be much
appreciated.

Bill Horne