[Discuss] Dropping obsolete commands (Linux Pocket Guide)

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 12:06:03PM +0000, Edward Ned Harvey (blu) wrote:
> I'm surprised to hear so many people saying they've never used dump
> & restore. If you backup using rsync/rsnapshot/tar/whatever, you're
> able to restore a system by reinstalling the OS manually, and
> reinstalling the same package list manually, and reconfiguring
> everything manually (or restoring /etc and hoping no package
> versions have changed anything meaningful) ... It's absolutely
> possible, but it's a pain.

It's been a long while since I cared about this, but it need not be
any particular pain.  Both debian and redhat have automated system
installers, and it at least used to be possible to do an install as a
template and generate the input you need...

> Of course, the relatively new invention of configuration management
> tools greatly improve the above process.

It's not that new--both distros were doing this at least 15 years ago, IIRC...

-=-=-=-=-