[Discuss] Profiting from GPL software

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 11:33:11AM -0500, Rich Pieri wrote:
> On 11/10/2015 11:10 AM, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> >False.  Linksys WRT1900ac ships with Linux.  See the bootlog for the
> >OEM firmware here:
>
> That boot log is almost two years old. Linksys no longer ship
> OpenWRT

Do you have a reference that shows they no longer ship with GPL code?

>, and installing it or any other third-party firmware voids
> the warranty:
>
> http://www.linksys.com/us/p/P-WRT1900AC/
>
> "?While Linksys fully embraces the open source community and is
> providing open source use capabilities, they do not offer technical
> support on using open source firmware. Installing 3rd party firmware
> is done at your own risk and replacing factory-installed firmware
> with OpenWRT firmware will void your warranty. Please always seek
> the advice of more experienced users via open source community
> forums if you?re unsure."

Are you sure you are not confusing AC1900 and WRT1900AC?  Linksys made
two products--one with Open Source support, and one without.  The WRT
is sold at a premium price so that users can install 3rd party
firmware.  Sure, you void the warranty, but they are still profiting
from the GPL software, or at least the ability to load GPL
software--because people are paying them that premium for that
ability.