[Discuss] Dropping obsolete commands (Linux Pocket Guide)

> From: Discuss [mailto:discuss-bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org] On
> Behalf Of Daniel Barrett
>

> 1. dump and restore
>
> I grew up with these commands, but personally haven't used them in
> well over a decade. What do you think?

If you want to backup your filesystem and preserve every little tiny detail that people don't normally think of - like named pipes, and character special devices, and hard links, and weird stuff like that, dump & restore are the only sure-fire ways to do it, because the dump & restore source code is written by the same people who write the EXT filesystem code.

You might make a comment about use netcat instead of telnet, for network diagnostics, but aside from that, telnet is obsolete as a remote terminal protocol.

And all the other stuff, I agree, is obsolete.