[Discuss] Profiting from GPL software (was: Hey FCC, Don't Lock Down Our Wi-Fi Routers | WIRED)

On 11/9/2015 1:07 PM, Robert Krawitz wrote:
> Red Hat, for example, sold boxed CD's/DVD's for quite a while,
> presumably at at least a small profit.  If you want to argue that the
> real value was in the support, whatever, but the fact remains that you
> could go into a store and buy Red Hat boxed distributions.

Red Hat dropped retail boxed editions because they weren't profitable.

> Nothing in the GPL restricts what you can charge for selling the
> software in the first place.  It's only the accompanying source code
> that you have to provide for no more than the actual cost of the
> distribution.

I did not say you can't try to charge money for it. I said that you
can't make a profit from trying to sell it. Again I ask: what is
dishonest about this statement?

--
Rich P.