[Discuss] Fwd: Hey FCC, Don't Lock Down Our Wi-Fi Routers | WIRED

On 10/5/2015 3:20 AM, Bill Bogstad wrote:
> So what does it mean when the FCC's own documents suggest otherwise?
> For example, the document at:

What it means is that you are taking one document to be something it isn't.

FCC guidelines are not rules. They are not requirements. They are not
even recommendations. They are suggestions as to what vendors can do to
ensure compliance -- even when they're laced with a lot of "MUST" clauses.

The vendors know this. It's not a big deal for them; it's business as
usual. The ones that have been locking their devices all along will
continue to do so. The ones that have not will implement other
mechanisms to ensure compliance.

--
Rich P.