[Discuss] NAS: lots of bays vs. lots of boxes

On 7/10/2015 12:06 PM, Kent Borg wrote:
> Feels like RAID is dying of disks being too inexpensive, or better put,
> too big at a still-affordable price. The amount of data to copy to bring
> a new disk into an existing array is getting too big. It takes too long,
> it starts to consume too much of the disks' life span--both the old
> disks that have to serve up their entire contents for the newcomer, and
> the newcomer that starts life being entirely written in a long, hot effort.

The answer to this conundrum is simple: disks are consumables like toner
and paper and batteries.

> 24-disks is enough to be pretty interesting and Newegg will sell 1TB
> drives for under $50 each. A pretty interesting and capable testbed
> could be had for not that much money.

You can get new 2TB Hitachi drives for $54 from Newegg. And you know
what? I'm ordering a set for my server. The old drives are 4+ years old
now and they're probably going to start failing soon.

--
Rich P.