[Discuss] NAS: encryption

On Wed, Jul 08, 2015 at 12:08:13PM -0400, Richard Pieri wrote:
> On 7/8/2015 11:47 AM, Derek Martin wrote:
> Do you understand that you are doing the same thing that you accuse
> proprietary software of doing?

The world is full of proprieties--I am subject to some of them the
same as any of us are.

But it does not matter; you asked if I know any such people; you did
not ask me to prove it.  Moreover, MY trust depends neither on my
ability nor my willingness to prove my trust TO YOU.

Besides, I did give you one specific example.  I pointed out how you
can find plenty more.  The source is available to everyone.  Those
people who do this for a living all check each other's work, and it
is, by and large, in their interest to be as dilligent and as
straightforward as possible.  Their reputations depend on it; their
reputations are what they trade on.  Is that not obvious?  The
community is generally a very open one; you can insert yourself into
it with relative ease, if you care to.

The notion that open source affords only an illusion of more assurance
than closed source is nonsense.  It is still not perfect, as surely
no human endeavor is.

-=-=-=-=-