[Discuss] NAS: distributed file systems

On 07/04/2015 12:07 PM, Tom Metro wrote:
> F. O. Ozbek wrote:
>> You can use moosefs to essentially do what Isilon does at a fraction
>> of the price. https://moosefs.com/
>
> Thanks for the reminder of MooseFS.
>
> I've ran across it before. There are a bunch like it. They tend to be
> either very complicated to set up, or immature and incomplete. One
> really needs some first-hand reviews.

MooseFS is relatively easy to setup. (one or two hours maximum).

MooseFS is not immature, it has been around for almost 10 years
and it is used in production environments around the world.
(Including Harvard University, Gemius S.A in Poland).

MooseFS does not have all the features you will expect yet but
it is under on-going development.

I am not sure about what you mean by "hacked up Linux firmware" but
as long as it is relatively recent and decent Linux installation
it should run. (If you contact them and ask for the specific
hardware, they may test it on that hardware for you.
I think it even runs on Pi2 now. :-)