[Discuss] memory management

On Sun, Jun 21, 2015 at 03:18:03PM +0200, Bill Bogstad wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 21, 2015 at 1:10 PM, Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org> wrote:

> I'm curious though, how this other user account gains access to your
> X server.   Allowing other user ids to write on your screen/capture
> key & mouse events seem to me to be a potential issue.

Only if someone else can log in as that user.

It's been my experience that I didn't need to fix display access, but
maybe it's because typically I'm switching to root.  But if you need
to, it's not hard... just arcane.

$ xauth list
myhost/unix:0  MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1  <cookie_value>

Then:

1. su - other

2. make sure XAUTHORITY is not left over from your original UID:

$ export XAUTHORITY=/home/other/.Xauthority # or whatever

3. make sure that file exists

$ touch /home/other/.Xauthority

4. add the cookie you got from your original UID

$ xauth add myhost/unix:0  MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 <cookie_value>

Should now work fine, without allowing access to anyone else on the
box.  Just tested it in my Ubuntu VM, closed WORKSFORME. ;-)

-=-=-=-=-