[Discuss] Cool Processing

On 6/19/2015 4:09 PM, Shirley M?rquez D?lcey wrote:
> Undervolting is the flip side of overclocking. Both count on the fact
> that a typical CPU has some operational margin; it does a bit better
> on the speed/voltage curve than the specs guarantee. Most motherboards
> that enable overclocking can also be undervolted; it's something to
> explore if you are building a quiet system for home theater or the
> like, or if you just like the idea of saving energy.

Yup. Undervolting is made of win.

Another no-cost, high reward thing one can do is disable CPU turbo
boost. This can be done even if the firmware does not expose the option:
set the maximum CPU frequency to a little under the frequency where
turbo boost is activated. Peak core temps will be 5-10C cooler under
load at the cost of a little performance off the top.

--
Rich P.