[Discuss] Multiple submissions of resume by recruiters and hired.com

On Fri, Jun 5, 2015 at 7:03 AM Mike Small <smallm at panix.com> wrote:

> Thanks everyone for answering my question. The whole job searching
> process is a puzzle to me, in a kind of Alice in Wonderland sort of way,
> so every bit of information helps.
>
> "Rich Braun" <richb at pioneer.ci.net> writes:
> > If you're unemployed, it's obviously tempting to go all-out with a fancy
> > LinkedIn profile.  But it's also much harder to get the interviews you
> want,
> > if you're not perceived as someone who needs to be wooed away from an
> existing
> > employer.  So the multiple-submission problem affects you more than
> others,
>
> The flip side of companies figuring the only worthy are those already
> employed is to be skeptical of a company who needs people. If newspaper
> stories are any guide, these last few years people have been hanging on
> to their existing jobs like life rafts.

This may be true of the economy in general, but I don?t think it?s true of
the IT field.

> So except for start ups or other
> companies growing for some reason, you kind of have to wonder why a
> company with an opening couldn't satisfy its previous employees. Makes
> me wonder why people change jobs so often, those who do, or more to the
> point, why my self appointed career advisers think it important that I
> do. Certainly the few times I've poked my head up the grass did not look
> greener.

I think one reason is that if you spend a number of years at one job, your
experience may qualify you for a more challenging or higher-ranking
position, but just because you are able to fill that role doesn?t mean your
current employer will have that role for you to fill. At that point, it?s
logical for you to look for a more appropriate position somewhere else.