[Discuss] Multiple submissions of resume by recruiters and hired.com

On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 12:17 PM, Dan Ritter <dsr at randomstring.org> wrote:
> This can be fixed at the employer end, but only if there is a
> single person dealing with all incoming resumes. As soon as a
> repeat resume is submitted, it must be rejected with a note to
> the recruiter that it is a repeat.
>
> Anything else leaves the hiring company open to idiotic
> lawsuits.

And of course some recruiters prefer to submit directly to the hiring
managers, working around the single-point-of-intake people who may not
do better than automated keyword matching in routing resumes.

Policy that resumes must come through HR and no contract can be formed
by those not authorized is a plausible defense in court, but they
still have to lawyer-up and play Discovery -- or pay the greenmail to
avoid those distractions.
   Hence they'll hire a double-submitted candidate only if hiring
manager says this person is so so so much better than all the others
that they're REALLY worth that hassle and can sell it to the VP and
VP-HR. Good luck on that.

Hence, don't work with any agent who doesn't let you control dissemination.

I've followed that rule and was double-submitted only once.
   Two otherwise careful conscientious, honest recruiters were each
told they had an Exclusive on the opening, but that it was urgent, so
submitted me first and told me later. And each complained to me they
were told double-submitted.  Meh, if the hiring company has a culture
of dishonesty like that, i don't want to work there anyway !!  But i
chided both agents for their error, and both were suitably chastened.

--
Bill Ricker
bill.n1vux at gmail.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/n1vux