[Discuss] About to rip out systemd and start over

On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 10:50 PM, Rich Braun <richb at pioneer.ci.net> wrote:
> For the umpteenth time, this morning found myself at the console of a dead
> Linux box, unable to bring the system up because of unreconciled or circular
> or otherwise out-of-sequence dependencies in systemd. An hour and a half
> later, during which I had none of the usual tools available to examine the
> system (because it wouldn't come up), I just wound up reverting a couple of
> tiny edits to dependencies that I'd made in the weeks since last reboot--and
> wound up with the same 5-manual-steps restart procedure to get past busted
> startup sequencing that I've endured for years.

Perhaps you could provide some details for people who may not yet
have run into these issues?   Clearly every useful system requires some
software/configuration changes not automatically provided by the installation
system.   I'm guessing that these kinds of problems are more likely to
show up the
farther away you get from default configs/software installs.   Or the
more upgrades
that have been done since the initial install.   Hints on what it take
to break systemd
would be a service to everyone.

Thanks,
Bill Bogstad