[Discuss] Secure Email

On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 6:56 AM, Dan Ritter <dsr at randomstring.org> wrote:

> You'll have to define what you want. In my experience, the
> problems with things called "secure email" are:
>
> - People at the other end can't/don't use it, thus rendering it
> pointless.
>
> - You are unlikely to be able to use it with normal email tools
>
> - Traffic analysis still works against it
>
> -  Sometimes it's not really email. It's a proprietary message
> database with an http/s frontend, that sends little email notices saying
> that you have a message, please log in. That's both a SPOF and a
> trust requirement.
>

> If you ignore usability and traffic analysis, PGP/GPG encrypted
> bodies are probably best.
>
> If you can't ignore usability, I don't know that there's
> anything useful.
>

> What I really want is Kolab Now... as a replacement for all the
functionality in Google Apps for Work.  In other words, Calendar, Notes,
Documents, Email, Multi-device synchronization, Web enabled.

But I decided it's going to have to wait since I don't want to do that much
work right now (migrating content, setting up desktop, mobile clients,
getting familiar with how Kolab works).

If anyone has made the switch, I think it would be great to hear.

I believe that with Kolab Now you can do PGP with people who want to, and
simply use TLS for everyday traffic security. Since there are no ads, and
the server is in Switzerland, you have some protection from eavesdropping.

~ Greg

Greg Rundlett
https://eQuality-Tech.com <https://equality-tech.com/>
https://freephile.org