[Discuss] Talk: "Computing on Encrypted Data"

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [GBC-ACM] Talk Thursday April 30: Vinod Vaikuntanathan on
"Computing on Encrypted Data" in MIT Room 32-G449 (Kiva) at 7 pm
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 16:52:34 -0400
From: Peter Mager

IEEE Computer Society and GBC/ACM
7:00 PM, Thursday, 30 April 2015
MIT Room 32-G449 (Kiva)

Computing on Encrypted Data
Vinod Vaikuntanathan

The basic nature of encryption has always been all-or-nothing: anyone
who knows the secret key can decode and recover the entire data; but,
without the key, nothing can be revealed. The requirements of our modern
computing world raise fundamentally new challenges: Can we compute on
encrypted data without decrypting it, and without knowledge of the
secret key? Which functions can be computed this way? Who can learn the
results of such computations? In this talk, I will present homomorphic
encryption and functional encryption schemes, two powerful methods of
computing on encrypted data.

Vinod Vaikuntanathan joined the Department of Electrical Engineering and
Computer Science at MIT as an Assistant Professor of Computer Science in
September 2013. After receiving a S.M. and Ph.D. from MIT, he spent two
years as a Postdoctoral Fellow at IBM T.J. Watson, one year as a
researcher at Microsoft Redmond, and two years as an Assistant Professor
at the University of Toronto. He is broadly interested in cryptography,
security and distributed algorithms. His current research focus in
cryptography is in developing technologies for computing on encrypted
data, guaranteeing privacy of sensitive data while at the same time
enabling computations on it. His work has been recognized with many
awards including the George M. Sprowls Ph.D. Thesis Award at MIT, an IBM
Josef Raviv Postdoctoral Fellowship, a University of Toronto Connaught
Foundation Award, and an Alfred P. Sloan Fellowship.

This joint meeting of the Boston Chapter of the IEEE Computer and
GBC/ACM will be held in MIT Room 32-G449 (the Kiva conference room on
the 4th floor of the Stata Center, buildng 32 on MIT maps) .  You can
see it on this map of the MIT campus.

Up-to-date information about this and other talks is available online at
http://ewh.ieee.org/r1/boston/computer/. You can sign up to receive
updated status information about this talk and informational emails
about future talks at http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/ieee-cs,
our self-administered mailing list.

Other planned talks include :

Tim Kraska "The End of Slow Networks: It's Time for a Redesign"
Thursday, May 21, 2015, 7-9pm

Dana Chisnell & Matthew Weaver "Adventures in the US Digital Service"
Thursday, June 18, 2015, 7-9pm

See our website <http://ewh.ieee.org/r1/boston/computer/> for details.

To subscribe or unsubscribe to this list via the web, go to
http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/gbc-acm