[Discuss] "Stack Script" (shell script) to build Ubuntu LAMP + on Linode

On Sat, Apr 4, 2015 at 7:58 AM, Edward Ned Harvey (blu) <blu at nedharvey.com>
wrote:

> > From: Discuss [mailto:discuss-bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org] On
> > Behalf Of Greg Rundlett (freephile)
> >
> > Having just decided that I'm moving my operations to Linode, I'm building
> > out a script to install a base Ubuntu 14.04 system on Linode.
>

> My comments are:  This would have been a lot faster/easier/more
> reliable/scalable/better if done on ansible.  (Or any of its competitors,
> but I'm personally using ansible).

You're right.  (The same point was made off-list.)

I've only played a bit with various configuration management systems and
haven't really committed to one just yet.  I'm not sure why I didn't make
the connection when I went looking for a good Stack Script and there
weren't any good ones  (Doh! that's because people have been using Vagrant
etc.)

So, now that I'm looking at Vagrant, Juju [1], Ansible [2], Puppet [3] and
others as well as revisiting the general virtualization landscape (e.g.
LXC, Docker, CoreOS).

Does anyone have their favorite deployment tips, playbooks or stories to
share?  The particular applications I want aside from basic services
include MediaWiki, Drupal, CiviCRM, WordPress, GitLab, etc.  This makes
DigitalOcean attractive as a host since they have both the API and the
existing "One-click" apps.  Of course one-click doesn't fit my requirements
because I need to do specific deployments, often using more recent software
than what is bundled in somebody's cookbook. But.... Kapil Thangvelu
created a Juju provider for Digital Ocean (called JuDo) using their API
https://github.com/kapilt/juju-digitalocean

For me, Juju probably isn't a good fit because it's more about service
orchestration and scalability than specific configuration of the pieces.

I've done a bunch of reading up on the status of projects. For Drupal in
particular, a very good solution I found was
https://github.com/geerlingguy/drupal-vm

I'm working out the specifics for my deployments, and will be posting to my
wiki or github as soon as I can get something working and tested. I will
probably give up on the idea of Linode and use AWS as the provider because
it's a cloud instead of a VPS.  (Note: it is possible to use Juju, for
example, with "Manual" provisioning to deploy to existing systems such as a
VPS.  This is to say that cloud infrastructure is not mandatory when
deciding to use configuration management tools.)  I'm just saying that
deploying to a cloud or locally is less work.

I also read today that Nebula, the "founder" of the OpenStack ecosystem,
has closed down. [4][5]

So, the challenge is not just to figure out a particular solution, but to
figure out which solution is likely to endure.

~ Greg

[1] https://jujucharms.com/get-started
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ansible_(software)
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puppet_(software)