[Discuss] Verizon FIOS TV and HDHR digital tuner

Shirley M?rquez D?lcey wrote:
> Comcast doesn't really support the HD HomeRun at all. Their people
> were pretty much clueless about what it even is;

That fits with what I've read on the MythTV user's last back when I was
following it. So not surprisingly, no change.

> I don't think the company really likes the existence of the HD
> HomeRun, because it lets you make DVR recordings in unencrypted
> formats;
> Comcast would much rather have you pay them for
> their X1 system which keeps your recordings captive.

Exactly.

I have a pre-CableCard HDHR (now sitting idle, thanks to Comcast
encrypting everything) and have not bothered to upgrade to the CableCard
version, because it has always felt like an investment that may only
have short term usefulness.

At any moment Comcast could decide to do something to prevent CableCard
from working. (Especially if they can figure out how to keep the TiVos
working while fouling the HDHR and other fringe users.)

Or, better alternatives to Comcast will come along, and I can be rid of
the ridiculous practice of renegotiating my cable TV rates once per year.

We're getting real close to the latter...

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro
The Perl Shop, Newton, MA, USA