[Discuss] NFS mounts

On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 11:14:16AM -0400, Tom Metro wrote:
> Dan Ritter wrote:
> > aldo albanese wrote:
> >> ...in one article someone suggested to use TCP instead in the syntax instead of UDP.
> >
> > In /etc/fstab:
> >
> > hostname:/share	    /local/mountpoint	nfs ro,tcp,rsize=1048576 1 1
> >
> > Assuming a readonly mount for large media files.
>
> So rsize=1048576 is going to increase efficiency for large files, but
> what's the advantage for using TCP instead of UDP? Presumably NFS
> already has an error correcting layer on top of UDP. And when it comes
> to performance, usually UDP is superior, which is why it gets used in
> most real-time protocols.

In this case you aren't really streaming, you're mounting a
remote filesystem. The application thinks it has a reliable
file and will not be expecting to have to do extra buffering
and error-correction.

> How about mounting it read-only? Just good security practice if
> read-write isn't needed, or does that gain you some performance as well?

No performance advantage to read-write, but typically you don't
want to accidentally delete your entire media tree from a client
machine...