[Discuss] perl/Tk

Eeewwww...   Gross.

> the cpan installation went on for quite a while, but at the

If there was ever an argument for why perl sucks, besides the language itself being crap, it's cpan, which sucks bigtime, for exactly the reason you're observing.  Developers develop on some system, they test on their own systems, and it is *frequent* that something in cpan fails to build where you're trying to use it, and there is no way to specify an old version that was known to work on your system.

> any suggestions as to where i go from here?

Despite me hammering on it, you're probably not going to abandon perl.  Which you should do.  In the past whenever I needed to make something work anyway, here's my advice -

First of all, see if you can abandon cpan, and use packages that are built in to your yum repository.  Much more reliable (and faster.)  If that doesn't work, you can try building those modules by hand - I've had about 50% success in hand-building modules bypassing cpan.  Really the best thing you could have done was to download & cache the packages, and document the build process so you could repeat it in the future if you need to.  But it's *such* a hassle.