[Discuss] os x = poop?

> From: Discuss [mailto:discuss-bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org] On
> Behalf Of Eric Chadbourne
>
> Anybody here like OS X?  Why?  I?m not trolling.  I?m curious.  Why would
> somebody want to use this terrible piece of proprietary poop?

I like OSX because Running OSX as the host OS is literally the only way that you can use every OS.  Because if you run some other OS as the host, you can't run OSX as the guest.  I like "best tool for the job."  So I like to use each OS for what it's best at.

I don't use any of that crap software you mentioned.  I run vmware fusion, so at all times I have several mac desktops, and a windows desktop, and an ubuntu desktop.
In the mac, I usually have open:  chrome, skype, terminal, macvim, Xamarin Studio, SourceTree, Finder.
In windows, I usually have open:  outlook, Visual Studio, SourceTree, cygwin, vmware vsphere, gimp, gvim.
In ubuntu, I usually have open: monoDevelop, terminal

I like OSX best for desktop user interface, largely because that touchpad is the best damn touchpad anybody has on any system - it's no wonder apple patented the shit out of all the multitouch gestures stuff and they don't license it to windows manufacturers.  So the touchpad interface, on all the other platforms, is crap by comparison, even with multitouch.

And task switching between desktops - I know linux can *sort of* come close to doing some of it, with all that Compiz stuff, but it's never been nearly as good.  And nothing in windows comes even close.

Also backups in the mac.  Time machine is the gold standard that windows & linux wish they could achieve.  Hardware compatibility:  Just clone any HD onto any new machine and you're good to go.  With everything else you have platform-specific drivers and hardware-locked license keys that make it difficult to simply replace your computer and restore all your software (whole disk image).