[Discuss] Home server

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 05:14:08PM -0500, Richard Pieri wrote:
> On 1/26/2015 4:05 PM, Joe Polcari wrote:
> >I have quite a few FreeNAS boxes in service right now and that is not how
> >they work.
>
> Hm. Probably a change some time between FreeNAS 7, which is built on
> top of m0n0wall (more or less), and the more recent versions. That
> would go a long way to explain FreeNAS 9's relatively huge RAM
> requirements. I stopped paying much attention to FreeNAS when
> version 8 was released. It was a huge downgrade in capabilities and
> features from version 7.

Recent versions are built on Django.  They say that the larger RAM
requirements come from ZFS itself, which apparently likes lots of RAM
for performance reasons, but maybe it is also Django--I don't know.

Version 8 was a big downgrade in features, but as of 8.2 it was back
on par with version 0.7 features via their plugin system using PBIs in
FreeBSD jails.  9.3 just came out and it apparently does package-level
updates with delta support.