[Discuss] Home server

On 1/25/2015 12:37 PM, Rohan Joshi wrote:
> Is there any particular distribution that is better than Ubuntu for this
> purpose.  I have a pentium D, and 2 gb of memory to work with.

TrueOS. It's a server-focused variant of PC-BSD which is a FreeBSD
derivative intended to be easy to deploy, use and maintain.

> Also, any other suggestions of how to go about this are welcome.

TrueOS. ZFS with mirrored storage disks. SMB or rsync/Unison or whatever
gets your data onto the server. "zfs send" to copy snapshots to
removable media for longer-term archival storage.

You could use CentOS with ZFS on Linux but you would be saddled with a
lot of bloat that you don't want on a small server.

--
Rich P.