[Discuss] SQL discussion

I'm a software engineer and I am constantly confounded by other engineer's
trepidation/apprehension/dislike for the common database. SQL databases
especially.

OK, I got it, it is another technology to learn and it isn't like we don't
have too much as it is, but SQL is really something pretty great. With all
the "no-sql" offerings, SQL is the most widely used data access API in the
world many times over. Why? Because it really does work, and it works
pretty well.

Think about this, SQL as a data access language is everywhere. It is in
your web browser, it it is in you smart phone. (sqlite) Your bank uses it,
your government uses it. Your doctors, lawyers, supermarkets, and trash
collection companies use it.

With sqlite, you can have from a tiny embedded database to a pretty big
stand-alone database.

With postgresql, you can go from a small database server to an absolutely
HUGE data warehouse.

Now, the "no-sql" technologies have a place, but I find much of what
people want to use them for would be better done in a SQL system. Even the
"no-sql" technologies are gaining SQL front ends, what's the point in
that?

How much of this is a reluctance to learn SQL?