[Discuss] Use Linux laptop as wifi router? Is that even the right solution?

A variation on Gordon's suggestion...

What about an ethernet cable between the laptop and the Roku 3 in a subnet
(different from the wifi connection)?  In the subnet, the laptop would have
to assign the address for the Roku (fixed addresses for both eth0 and the
Roku would be fine).  I don't know how to do this mind you, but have not
seen it suggested.