[Discuss] root CA bloat

On 11/22/2014 4:15 PM, Bill Bogstad wrote:
> I already mentioned part of this in my first note.  They would have to
> do it by changing the nameserver entries for the microsoft.com domain
> at the .com DNS servers which I'm pretty sure they don't run.

MarkMonitor owns the microsoft.com and msft.net domains along with a
slew of variations of those domain names. As owner of the domain,
MarkMonitor could have VeriSign change the top level registration. It
would not be bad data because MarkMonitor is the owner of the domain.

Would it be visible? Sure. Any change in a public space is visible.
Would MarkMonitor's customers care? Absolutely. MM would be doing what
it is being paid to do: protect its customers' trademarks and copyrights
without resorting to raids like the NoIP raid. Would the world notice?
Probably not. MarkMonitor has been doing it for going on 15 years.

--
Rich P.