[Discuss] Revisiting VMWare ESX backup options

On 11/4/2014 7:07 AM, Edward Ned Harvey (blu) wrote:
> Rich P apparently
> likes trolling and thinks there can only be one solution for
> everyone, and everyone who disagrees with him is wrong

What is the popular solution to notebook computers with sensitive
information on them being lost or stolen? Encryption. But this fails to
address the most common reason why these notebooks are lost or stolen in
the first place which is carelessness on the parts of those in
possession of said information.

The encrypt everything ideology is nothing more than security theater:
do something that provides a warm and fuzzy feeling without addressing
the real problem of poor or nonexistent physical security. If you
maintain good physical security then the devices won't be lost or stolen
in the first place. Encryption has its uses but it is not a primary
defense against loss or theft. It's a last resort when everything else
has failed.

--
Rich P.