[Discuss] code for hacked USB drive (BadUSB) released on Github

Rich, I have designed hardware for several USB devices that can, in fact,
work that way.  The USB VID/PID are just registers, they can be rewritten,
and kicking your own reset line is easy in most cases.

I'm not saying "arbitrary USB devices can do this", I'm saying "it is
trivially easy to design a USB device to do this".  And I have, though
there was no need to do this, it was just possible due to inherent
properties of the hardware.  I would wager there are millions of devices
out there that can do this.  Anything with a Microchip PIC USB-capable
microcontroller, likely, and those are cheap.  Many, many embedded
microcontrollers that support USB allow modification of VID/PID by the
firmware.  Hell, you can do it with a soft USB stack.

*Drew Van Zandt*