[Discuss] SysVinit vs. systemd

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 1:26 PM, Richard Pieri <richard.pieri at gmail.com> wrote:
> Any
> random console tool /can't/ act the same as a daemon and as a console
> tool. UNIX and Linux don't work that way.

Yes, making legacy programs work in modern lights-out headless
virtualization farms is hard.

Having built wrapper scripts to make a server program
self-resurrecting (not using an OS off-the-shelf tool as we had a
bespoke recovery framework that worked across Solaris, AIX, RedHat), i
concur that programs that don't intend to play nice with
stop/start/restart frameworks are a pain to package, sometimes hard,
sometimes impossible.  If you redirect all 3 standard STDIO handles as
you should in a wrapper, it can't wait for STDIN, but it may still try
to prompt Console or pop up a X dialog in some rare branch of code.

I've also had a Windows C++/MFC server program put the
dump-or-terminate dialog up on the server's console, defeating
auto-restart. (So we had to change the default DrWatson setting, which
was same on server as on workstations, so wrong.)

--
Bill Ricker
bill.n1vux at gmail.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/n1vux