[Discuss] SysVinit vs. systemd

Bill Ricker <bill.n1vux at gmail.com> writes:
> Hmm. Interesting. Yes, small might be good.
> Are any Distros including dmd with/instead of rc/init/... ?

Dmd was created by Ludovic Court?s, one of the guile maintainers, I
believe to go with his guix packaging system (instead of any other init
system), which fairly recently has expanded to be a fledgling
distro. It's still in the very early stages. They had packaged most or
all of official GNU project software plus a few hundred other things
last time I looked.

Guix is basically nixos substituting a dsl in guile for nix's package
definition language and with guile as substitute for shell in some
places. More here: https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/

I'm not aware of anyone else using dmd except perhaps for
GNU/Hurd. There's at least one Guix developer looking at using Guix for
the Hurd, and Ludovic himself has some connection or interest in the
Hurd IIRC. So I guess if there's ever a guix GNU/Hurd it would use dmd.

--
Mike Small
smallm at panix.com