[Discuss] SysVinit vs. systemd

On 9/11/2014 10:58 AM, Bill Ricker wrote:
> Can we agree that SysV Init is ancient, and is due for at least major
> reform, if not outright replacement ?

Ancient? Yes.

Due for reform? Maybe. Depends on whether or not you consider lumping
device management, system logging and superserver into the init system
qualifies. I for one do not.

> Some have been init reform. Efforts to reform Init with automagic
> learning for parallelizing of boot order seemed promising to me, but
> have fallen by the wayside. I'm unclear why - did they fail or were
> they successful but even in aggregate insufficient reform? Or did the
> Big Distros suffer NIH ?

>   * Has Debian indicated what they intend to do for their BSD and Herd
> kernel builds, since SystemD requires linux-specific kernel features?

Debian will continue to use sysvinit with makefile concurrency for
GNU/kFreeBSD. Debian/Hurd just recently switched from their homegrown
init to sysvinit with the same mechanisms used in kFreeBSD.

--
Rich P.