[Discuss] How do I add entropy?

... other than by asking a question that some will think should be researched
on-line? ;-)

With the key signing coming up, I set out to generate a brand new, 4096-bit
RSA key.

However, GPG says I need more entropy, and suggests I do other things on the
system to get it. Google wasn't helpful: I don't know if the solutions
proposed (copy /dev/random to /dev/null, for example) will remove more entropy
than they add.

So, my questions:

1. What can I do to help it along, without degrading the quality or quantity
of randomness my machine has on file right now?

2. Does "doing other things" on the system contribute to the entropy pool? In
other words, does Linux acquire randomness by monitoring the time between
keystrokes or mouse movements or similar "normal" events? In other words,  how
does Linux gather entropy for the use of applications such as GPG?

Thanks for your help.

Bill

--
Bill Horne