[Discuss] DNS providers

> From: discuss-bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org [mailto:discuss-
> bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org] On Behalf Of Jason Normand
>
> we are looking to move our DNS out of house and are looking for
> recommendations.  currently we are managing multiple bind servers
> ourselves.  but most of our systems are now running in AWS, and the few
> left in the colo are being dropped within the year.  our needs are not
> really that intensive or complex, but we would like a robust system and a
> strong SLA is a requirement.

Because I hate godaddy, I'm recently putting some effort to transition domain registrars & dns service away from them.  Recently (within the last 2 weeks) I'm transitioning to namecheap.

Namecheap offers a free DNS service (you don't even need to register your domain with them) they call FreeDNS.  They say they're convinced, it's worthwhile for them to give away free DNS, because when you love that service, you'll start using them for domain registration and other services too.  (Worked for me.)  They boast a 100% sla, but I noticed they have 5-way redundant NS servers (freedns1.registrar-servers.com, ... freedns5.registrar-servers.com).  But I'm not entirely sure that should count as a 100% SLA...  Haven't looked into the details of time delay of DNS resolution in events where the first listed NS fails to respond, etc.

The service they offer is pretty full-featured.  Not the same as you can get by hosting your own, but good enough for most purposes.

Like I said, I'm new to using them, but so far I really like.

(Side note)
My motivation to switch was this:  I have several companies and personal domains registered and DNS hosted with godaddy.  Besides the visual assault of advertisements and other BS, I was offended during my recent renewal, because I noticed that they charged different prices for me at different companies.  When I called them they said the TLD determines the price, so .com's are different from .net's etc.  I said I know that, but I have here, a .com that I just renewed for $9.99, and now I'm looking at another .com renewal which is $14.99.  I have a receipt for a renewal, where one .com is $10.99, and another .com on the same receipt is $16.99.  They told me basically "that's just the way the TLD is."  I don't believe it.  I think they calculate what they can get away with, and basically try to gouge you when they can.  This seems to be confirmed by namecheap, where everything is $9.69 (beats the best price of godaddy) and doesn't vary according to different domain names.

Even more:  Godaddy private registration is like $11 per year including the first year.  Namecheap gives away WhoIsGuard for free in the first year, and $2.50 per year after.  So for now, I'm on the happy path of "Good riddance, Godaddy."