[Discuss] vnc

On 08/24/2014 01:09 PM, Richard Pieri wrote:
> Right tool for the job and all that.
>
> That said, I'd avoid using OpenVPN. I don't like X.509. I want X.509 to
> die in a fire. I want it to die painfully and permanently and never
> bother anyone ever again. For Linux to Linux I'd use Layer 3 tunneling
> over SSH using sshuttle to handle the heavy lifting.

I use sshuttle for a very particular situation, but the way it works,
with a few hacks, looks much less cleaner than OpenVPN. I've been using
OpenVPN for many years without trouble, either at Layer 2 or Layer 3,
and the network configuration is much more clear than the magic that
sshuttle does. Why the dislike of X.509 ?

Coming back to the topic, if not using XDMCP, one can use x11vnc to
direct to the login screen, by passing the auth parameter, something
like this:

sudo x11vnc -ncache 10 -auth /var/run/lightdm/root/:0

The auth parameter argument can be found by looking at the running X:

ps ax | fgrep -- -auth

regards,
Nuno

--