[Discuss] Looking for WiFi router with certain characteristics

What exactly is meant by "Access Point" nowadays?  I ask because the
thing I knew as an "Access Point"in the early 2000s was a simple-minded
device that sold for $25.  This was before routers incorporated WiFi, so
my router had 4 RJ-45 LAN ethernet ports and one WAN port.  In order to
do WiFi, I had one of the LAN ports connected to my Access Point.  The
Access Point had a single RJ-45 connector and two antennas, and was
basically a dumb device that just copied bits back and forth between the
RF signal coming in/going out through the antennas and the Ethernet
signal on the RJ-45 port.  At the time, router + access point = today's
WiFi router.

I've been considering running CAT-6 from the basement to the living
areas of the house, putting the WiFi router and cable modem in the
basement, and using access points to get coverage on the 1st and 2nd
floor.  But when I look for "access points" nowadays, I find devices
that are at least as expensive as a WiFi router.  A few months ago I
read what it said on the outside of a box for one in Microcenter, and it
seemed to list about a million features I couldn't make sense of.

It seems that today's Access Points do a whole bunch of stuff besides
what the simple one I used to have did.  I have no idea what the new
functionality is or whether any of it would be useful to me.

So, what is an "Access Point" in 2014?

    Mark