[Discuss] php dev's code with warnings and notices

When I develop php code, I depend on apache's error_log to diagnose
problems. If the page outputs *anything* to the error_log, then as far as
I'm concerned, the code is broken, and I continue working on it until it no
longer adds to the error_log.

I've never done any programming as part of a team; all my projects have
been solitary efforts, and all the cases where I had to deal with a sloppy
coder's error_log junk were situations where I was a sysadmin, not a member
of the programming team.

If I had to develop code as part of a team, and there were sloppy coders on
the team who don't care if their code pollutes the error_log, I'd want to
find a way for them to feel the pain. As Rich Braun mentioned earlier in
the thread, one possible approach would be to expose the pollution via the
unit tests.