[Discuss] Opinions/Advice on router boxes w/ port forwarding

I just bought one of these:
  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704150
Put OpenWRT on it, and I'm loving it.  The default firmware isn't bad,
but had some issues bridging the wifi to my wired lan (which was on this
access point's WAN port).  Plus I wanted an excuse to put openWRT on it.
  OpenWRT solved all my issues, and was trivial to install.

The hardware is nice because it has both 2.4GHz and 5Ghz radios, and you
can configure them independently (e.g. make the 2.4 radio do 802.11a/n,
and the 5Gz do 802.11s.  The dual-band radios mean you'll be able to do
It can do all the standard firewall stuff (including port forwarding /
NAT), even with the stock firmware.

It's also got a usb port, so you could hook up a drive to it and have it
be a little media server too.  All for $40.

What I'd like to do is make my Verizon actiontec device a transparent
bridge and have the TP-Link device with openwrt be the main gateway for
my home connection (i.e. the only DHCP server, NAT box, etc), but while
I found some instructions on how to do that, I don't have the nerve to
try it quite yet.

Matt