[Discuss] Penetration testing

I recall a rather persuasive argument long ago about penetration testing
that the owner of the network is too close to the problem, and is at risk
of overlooking potential issues that they hadn't already thought of. Hiring
an outside consultant who isn't already familiar with your network was
argued to be much more effective.

Apparently it also tends to be more reassuring for bosses, who often value
the opinions of an outside consultant more than they do those of their own
employees.