[Discuss] DMARC issue, Yahoo and beyond

Bill Horne wrote:
> email client sees them. The "discuss" tag is handy for those whom sort
> their mail inbox by subject, too, but I /think/ we can all agree that we
> /could/ do without it if that's the only option.

The "[Discuss]" tags are unnecessary. Every message that comes through
the list has readily identifiable Sender (RFC 2822) and List-ID (RFC
2919) field contents.

> My first question is whether mailman allows the BLU to selectively munge
> headers based on the recipient's preferences:

Last time I looked at Mailman it didn't. I wouldn't be surprised to
learn that it still doesn't. Getting it wrong is easy; getting it right
all the time is difficult, maybe impossible.

> The second question is what to do if that's not possible.

Be conservative in what you do. Don't munge fields. Use
standards-defined fields like List-ID the ways they are defined. Do this
and most of the problems stop being problems.

> My third question is how many subscribers are affected, and whether the
> BLU is able to construct a custom solution just for them.

I recommend avoiding custom solutions. Handling mail correctly and
reliably 100% of the time is hard enough. Fitting custom hacks into the
mix is just begging for the whole thing to fall apart.

Kinda like what's happening right now with the subject tags. :P

--
Rich P.