[Discuss] recent Internet speed upgrade by Comcast?

They quietly did the upgrade here in my neighborhood of Boston. So far
they haven't said anything to me about it but the peak speeds have
gone up; I noticed when I was downloading some rather large music
software and it was taking less time than should have been possible.
Even before the upgrade they were overdelivering during non-peak
times; I saw Speedtest results as high as 70Mbps before, and 100Mbps
after, although the promised peak speed was "up to 50Mbps".

But meanwhile, performance of some things, notably streaming video
from YouTube and Amazon, seems to have gone down. I think their
motivation is to offer a perception of giving people more (at little
cost to them, because what they are doing is giving you extra speed at
times of day when the network is under no strain so there is no
incremental cost) so that they will be less critical of other changes
(like more slowing during peak periods, or shaking down content
providers for money).