[Discuss] OpenBSD and LibreSSL

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 12:15 PM, Gregory Boyce <gboyce at badbelly.com> wrote:
> I really preferred the OpenTLS name that someone had suggested on the
> OpenBSD mailing list.

Branding preference depends on the target demographic for the brand.

For those few of us who know what TLS is under the hood and know that
OpenBSD provides the better netsec (not NetBSD as one might guess from
names!), yes OpenTLS is a more representative name.

But with the OpenOffice ? LibreOffice transition being widely known
recently, LibreSSL is more obviously the desirable upgrade from
OpenSSL, it is the more /evocative/ name.

If we wanted OpenTLS to be another secret weapon of OpenBSD, that's a good name.
If we want to displace OpenSSL for global good, a name that works
outside the cognoscenti will help.

Even though Libertas is not the motivation of the not-fork
reimplementation here.
Good luck to them, it needs doing !

--
Bill Ricker