[Discuss] Reading Linux book

There doesn't seem to be a lot of controversy that a separate /boot
partition is good.

On 03/26/2014 09:33 PM, Richard Pieri wrote:
> Regarding partition layouts, I don't bother with them any more beyond
> a small /boot partition. All other file systems are under some kind of
> volume manager that permits dynamic allocation and sizing.

I like having a different /home partition so that I will have more
flexibility with future OS installs.

Assumption: Upgrades are technically hard to engineer and even harder to
thoroughly test, and my starting condition before I do my upgrade will
probably not be a tested case. The more that I want an OS upgrade to
work (because I have done a lot of custom configuring I don't want to
have to redo) the less likely it will be to work correctly (because I
have made a lot of custom configuring). This is why I always maintain a
file called adminlog.txt. It is my notes, an old fashioned journal with
dated entries of what I do to the OS. If I need to reproduce my config,
I can "replay" this journal.

So, for OS upgrades I do a fresh, complete install. Having an OS
partition means I can install there, without touching my /home
partition. If it works, I can then tweak things to use my old /home
partition. Yes, there can be upgrade problems for home directories, too,
but not blowing away all my files is a nice start.

Another partition consideration: Disks are cheap, on some of my machines
I have dual "/" partitions for the OS, each complete and bootable. One
is a trailing copy the other and I can revert to it by a simple reboot.
When I have been running happily and some updates come along, I copy my
running version over to the other side before the update--so I can again
again revert if anything goes wrong.

This might be overly conservative and paranoid on the part of a
dilettante (and I don't configure things this way always), but I have
seen Linux computers where the Professional sysadmins don't do upgrades
at all because they don't want to break things that are working. I
suggest they have too much faith in the magical abilities of firewalls.

-kb