[Discuss] network issue

I'll add a few things:

- if using mixed gigabit/megabit switches or network cards, make sure
the ethernet cable is in good condition and that the computer/switch is
able to negotiate the speed. I've seen issues with this in the past, use
the already mentioned ethtool and look for out of place values and link
status.

- if it's a cheap router/switch, some models share two ethernet jacks
between the wan and lan for the same port: when the wan port is
connected, the lan or even both jacks won't work anymore. Testing that
same port and cable with another computer and knowing the router/switch
model would be helpful.

- also mentioned, use 'tcpdump -n -A -XX -i eth0' to look for bootpc
requests.

regards,
Nuno

--