From: discuss-bounces+joe=polcari.com at blu.org
[mailto:discuss-bounces+joe=polcari.com at blu.org] On Behalf Of Richard Pieri
Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2014 3:33 PM
To: 'Boston Linux and Unix'
Subject: Re: [Discuss] Why NOT use Linux?

Joe Polcari wrote:
> This should help for your last point.
> I have a %pre script that runs in my kickstarts that fixes the
> enumeration problem of disks if you need it.

This is appreciated. It's something to add to my bag of tricks. Still, this
punctuates the point. Why do we need so many workarounds? Because the
kernel's behavior is stupid.

> For the disks -
> especially when you have hardware raid and you want the disks in a
> specific order - you have to load the driver modules in the order you
> want the disks seen.

This only works if you have different RAID controllers. If you have
identical controllers or many disks on a single JBOD interface then there is
no way to control the enumeration order. You have to fall back on hacks like
volume labels and UUIDs.

--
Rich P.