[Discuss] Why use Linux? (back to original question)

Granted, I was paraphrasing from memory. Here are the actual words:

Mark:
> The shear number of tools available on Linux is just simply amazing.
> Screen, ssh, PAM, qemu, libvirt, virt-manager, X, and yes, I said it,
> The X Window Manager.

Richard:
> QEMU: OS X doesn't ship with it but it's installable via MacPorts.

Mark:
> QEMU and KVM are standard in most main stream Linux distros. This blows
> every other system out of the water. In debian, it is merely "apt-get
> install ..." The networking with QEMU and support packages is better than
> most proprietary systems on Windows and Mac.

Richard:
> sudo port install qemu
>
> This works on the *BSDs and on OS X after installing MacPorts. Call me
> blind but I don't see how "sudo apt-get install qemu" blows "sudo port
> install qemu" out of the water. If anything, the apt-get command requires
> three more key strokes.

Mark:
> Not really supported by the qemu guys. How's the version updates?

Richard:
> Dunnow, I don't use it. Never saw the need

While I can't speak for everyone, it sure came across to me that you
dismissed Mark's experience, then acknowledged that you hadn't actually
tried it yourself.