[Discuss] Why NOT use Linux?

Ted Roche wrote:
> And if you're presenting a Pro/Con argument for Linux, clearly we've
> provided you with material for that, too. Why NOT use Linux?

My top three:

The state of desktops on Linux is terrible. Of the three leaders we have
KDE which is a disaster, Unity which is a tablet UI desperately looking
for hardware to run on, and Gnome which is trying to be the prettiest
desktop around with just a single button that doesn't do anything. If
you're looking for a desktop operating system then Linux is the last
place to look. What's most unfortunate about this is that the *BSDs
suffer just as much in this regard.

The state of file system backups is even worse. Linux has lacked native
backup tools for its file systems since around 2002 leaving things like
extended attributes and ALCs in the lurch. rsync has been hacked to be
able to replicate extended attributes but that only works when going
from like to like; you can't use it for tapes and optical storage.

Dynamic device enumeration. Ever have a node refuse to boot because the
kernel randomly changes which disk is sda with every boot? Ever have a
node stop responding after a reboot because the kernel swapped the first
and second Ethernet interfaces? I have, more times than I care to
remember. Dynamic enumeration is a stupid, stupid way to do things.

--
Rich P.