[Discuss] first time build of GIT server

On 01/30/2014 10:44 AM, John Malloy wrote:
> Sorry for asking a newbie question....
>
> How do I  check/out  in a package for the first time?
>

> On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 10:35 AM, Edward Ned Harvey (blu) <blu at nedharvey.com
>> wrote:
>>> From: discuss-bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org [mailto:discuss-
>>> bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org] On Behalf Of Chris Johnson
>>>
>>> You'll need to get your team to use SSH keys, but that's standard
>>> practice for most git management systems (e.g. gitolite).
>> That may have been true at some point, but now, it works just as well over
>> http or https.
>>
>> I will say, if you use http, the user's password goes across the wire
>> plaintext.  (I confirmed with wireshark.)  So my recommendation would be to
>> plan on using SSL right from the start.  Every step along the way in the
>> gitlab installer, substitute "https" for "http" and so forth.

git init - Initializes a git repository.
git add <files> - Tells git to add the files for the net commit
git commit - this checks in file

In essence in git you have a live directory of files. You don't check
out in the traditional sense. Every developer has his/her own copy of
the repository. Look at the clone and pull examples the others have posted.

You can get a lot of good info here: http://git-scm.com/about

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix