[Discuss] first time build of GIT server

On 01/30/2014 11:23 AM, John Malloy wrote:
> What site should I use for the  git clone <URL>  ?

I think a more detailed description of your current status would help
people give better advice.

If you have a git repository at /path/repo on HOSTNAME, accessible by
USER, you can clone:

git clone USER at HOSTNAME:/path/repo

If you're using a git manager like gitosis/gitolite/gitlab, you'll
always login as user git, repository paths will be relative, and access
will be determined by SSH keys:

git clone git at HOSTNAME:repo.git

If you do not have a repository at all, you can initiate one with:

git init

At this point, you have a working repository, but you'll have to add
things manually. Committing works just fine with no external server; you
just won't have a backup. You'll want to set up a remote and set your
master branch to track it. If you use a git manager, it will be
something like:

git remote add origin git at HOSTNAME:repo.git
git push -u origin master

If you want to import from an existing subversion repository (probably
not advisable, if you keep multiple projects in the same svn repo) with
git-svn.