[Discuss] 4K monitors

Actually, they did the transition from 1600x1200 to 1920x1080 in two
steps.  I went from a 1600x1200 (UXGA) screen to a 1920x1200 (WUXGA)
screen on 15" laptops, and I agree that the increase in width wasn't a
really big deal for me.  Then they dropped from 1920x1200 (WUXGA) to
1920x1080 (FHD), and I held off for years on buying a new laptop because
I really wanted the ability to see more lines of code vertically without
having to scroll.  Everyone I talked to about my desire to have more
screen real estate available for seeing more code at once treated me
like a weird eccentric. Salespeople were the absolute worst.  Of course,
their job is to sell what they have available, so if what you want isn't
available, they'll go out of their way to try to convince you you don't
need it.  Then, when it later becomes available, they'll take the
arguments they heard from you and use them to convince other customers
that they really can't live without the newly available feature.

Anyway, it's nice to hear that I'm not the only programmer in the world
that thinks it's valuable to have higher resolution to allow you to see
more code on the screen.

    Mark Rosenthal