[Discuss] 4K displays

Jabr wrote:
>  When the industry abandoned 1600x1200 in favor of 1920x1080,
> the increase from 1600 to 1920 wasn't that big a deal, but the decrease
> from 1200 to 1080 was extremely painful.  Truthfully, even the 1200 was a bit cramped

Tell me about it! Scrolling through code or websites in 1080 pixels is annoying. I had higher res at DEC and Wang back in the '80s, only now there's vastly more content that needs scrolling through. (Mobile? Double-meh!)

I changed jobs 11 months ago and saw other engineers using either two 24-inch monitors or one 30-inch. The larger one has 2560x1600 or something like that, so I opted to set up a pair of the smaller 1920x1080s. They are a Dell model with a rotatable stand. I rotated both to form a 2160x1920 field of view (plus the Retina display of the laptop, whatever that resolution is.)

Solves the problem for showing stuff to fellow engineers who visit my desk, too. Too bad conference-room displays can't be readily hacked that way... And I too often find those things down-sizing me to 800x600. It's 2014?

At home I cling to a couple of surviving 1200-high displays, waiting for this tech to improve. Guess this summer is the time to finally throw that old stuff out.

-rich